News and Views from Arlington, MA
Aside from our favorite small and local businesses, what makes Arlington vibrant is its sense of community. A sense of community that is forged by keeping an engaged citizenry. Something that hyperlocal and independent YourArlington has succeeded in doing for decades!
YourArlington Gala – A Night to Celebrate Local Journalism
Celebrate local journalism, as we honor YourArlington’s founder Bob Sprague this November 15th. Scroll down to learn more about their gala, or donate today!
YourArlington began as an experiment in community journalism dedicated to reporting news about Arlington, Mass., and the Arlington-related views of its residents. That experiment continues, but it is not unique — it is part of a nationwide movement once called “citizen journalism.”
The phrase gained currency through We the Media, a 2004 book by Arizona State University professor Dan Gillmor. This kind of journalism encourages members of a community to write about that community; the writing may be reporting, or it may be opinion.
“YourArlington is a local news organization that publishes facts and opinions about Arlington, Mass. We aspire to the highest journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality, and fairness. Our aim is to bolster an engaged citizenry and so strengthen our community and democracy.”
- The Arlington Commission for Arts & Culture (Arts Arlington) is planning a free celebration of creativity and community from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, Saturday, Dec. 9, at Town Hall, 730 Mass. Ave. Residents are invited to this event to feature multiple works of art on display and artists in attendance available to speak […]
- The annual Arlington Heights holiday stroll and tree lighting is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 9, from 2 to 5 p.m. This event is put on by the Arlington Heights Community Association (AHCA), which invites residents of all ages to stroll along Mass. Ave. to view winter-themed painted windows and to enjoy family-friendly activites. This free event […]
- UPDATED Dec. 9: It's cool out now and will be getting steadily colder — but only three months ago, it was wicked hot, and that's a continuing and concerning problem. Therefore, Wicked Cool Mystic, a community project of the Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA), has scheduled a free interactive educational workshop from 11 a.m. to 2 […]
- Mill Café at Highrock. / Highrock photo Do December’s dark days zap your energy, requiring a caffeine boost? You’re in luck – the Mill Café, 14 Mill St. (in the Highrock Covenant Church lobby and more than a decade ago the Holovak & Coughlin Sporting Goods store), opened Thursday, Dec. 6. Serving coffee, tea, baked […]
- UPDATED Dec. 2: Arlington Friends of the Drama invites residents to the romantic comedy "One Slight Hitch," which opened Dec. 1 and runs through Dec. 10. This is the final weekend of the show. Residents may attend an 8 p.m. performance tonight, Dec. 9, or a 3 p.m. performance Sunday, Dec. 10. According to an email from […]
- A rear-end collision at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 5, at Lake Street and Mass. Ave. was the most recent of a half-dozen two-car crashes at Arlington intersections within an eight-day period. Although two injuries were reported for the six crashes, fortunately, only one driver needed medical attention, and her injury did not appear to be […]